I wanted for Friday(2/13) for a week or so and it was totally worth the wait! I was being a brat the past week because I wasn't able to find anything I actually loved for the show, but once I arrived I did not care. I was there for Kanye West as the true fan that I am. So, my cousin and I had lunch at Kitchen 24 that day.. And let me tell you, k24 is SO good. I'm actually pretty picky about restaurants because I'm afraid of not liking it. But this is my new spot in Hollywood! It's cute, cheap, good customer service and good sweets! (Kitchen 24 is the restaurant that's always on Daddy's Girls on MTV.)
YES, KANYE WAS LEAVING THE BUILDING.. SO HE HAD TO PASS BY ME... HE WAS SHAKING FAN'S HANDS... AND LOOKED AT ME, SMILED AND SHOOK MY HAND. HE HELD MY HAND FOR A GOOD 4 SECONDS! I WAS SHAKING SOOO MUCH THAT I BEGAN TO GET HOT. I WAS PLANNING ON NEVER WASHING MY RIGHT HAND BUT I FORGOT THE NEXT MORNING.... KANYE TOUCHED ME! HE NOTICED ME. MY DREAMS CAME TRUE!
It's soooo much to type out, so I just copied what a fan wrote on a forum who was also there.
Some notable highlights :
1. Kanye constantly talked to the audience, on camera and off. Perhaps most heartbreaking of all, though, was his story about getting the cold shoulder by Thom Yorke during the Grammys. Before Radiohead's performance, Kanye had the chance to meet up with Thom backstage. He went up to him and said, "Hey I'm a huge fan of your music." Thom didn't seem to care much. Then Kanye said, "I write music!". Thom replied, "Yeah, I've heard of you," and walked away without saying anything else. Kanye was heartbroken. "When they performed, I sat the fuck down," he said.
2. Kanye became very emotional when talking about his mother. He noted that Dr. Jan Adams (the doctor who operated on Donda) is now finishing a book that covers the event. Obviously pretty angry, Kanye stated, "My mom....probably wouldn't want me to be in jail right now....for KILLING A MOTHERFUCKER." Very powerful moment.
3. If anything, Kanye was absolutely hilarious, always talking back and forth with the band + audience, making jokes, sharing opinions on different things. At one point he was blowing his noise during a quick break and said, "I don't do cocaine... there's just a shit load of mucus in my noise." *audience laughed* "I actually don't do drugs..." *10 second pause* "......I do watch porn, though." Everyone was cracking up as he went into a brief narration on the beauty of Brazilian porn lmao. He was definitely having a good time-- when he wasn't performing, he was smiling, laughing, and actively talking.
4. During his story on the making of "Paranoid," he explained how everytime he listens to the song, he wishes he could have added some vocal harmonies to the final product. During the song's final minutes, he began demonstrating those harmonies via auto-tune along with the back-up vocalists. I have to admit, it was pretty damn cool.
5. As Kanye was getting ready for another take, someone in the audience yelled "Happy Valentines Day Kanye!". He laughed, then said something like, "You must be in London time or something."
6. Even when the camera wasn't rolling, Kanye was an extremely gracious person. At one point after the quick Q/A, he went into a big speech (cameras off) merely thanking everyone for listening to his music, helping make 808s a huge success and so forth. It was definitely from the heart.
7. At the end of the show, the emotionally exhausted Kanye said, "Thanks for being my shrink tonight and listening to my stories. I felt like the stage was your couch."
8. "Seriously, how dope is this shit?" - Kanye
9. Almost every song lasted for a good 6-10 minutes because of his storytelling + constant freestyling. It was great.
10. Late into the show, Kanye started talking about Chris Brown. In a freestyle, he said people should give him a break. Audience didn't seem to agree. During "Amazing," Kanye freestyled about "amazing" people who happened to get in trouble. Examples in the freestyle were Michael Jackson, Michael Phelps, and surprisingly, O.J. Simpson. Once again, audience didn't seem to agree on that one, evident by the fact that almost no one was clapping. But that didn't take away from the performance. Not at all.
Set-List (from what I remember)
Note : Every song was remixed differently in comparison to the the album version(s). Instrumentation included percussion, taiko-drums, drum-set, guitar, keyboards, moog synthesizer, bass, strings, back-up vocals, and more.
1. See You in My Nightmares. YES, a string-oriented See You In My Nightmares opened the show.
And it was sick as hell.
2. Robocop (amazing transition + Kanye saying that the "You must be joking, haha you kidding me, your first good one in a while" line is his attempt at "Tenacious D / Jack Black" humor.
3. Flashing Lights
4. Go Hard. Incredible, epic performance.
5. Touch the Sky. Probably an audience favorite. Everyone was dancing, including me.
8. Stronger. Different version with verses that were solely based on the taiko-drums.
9. Good Life
11. Say You Will. Probably the most exhausting-- he kept re-doing it because of mistakes.
13. An amazing, beautiful remix version of Love Lockdown to close the show.
He bowed to the audience for an entire minute after the performance.
At the end of the show when Kanye was thanking the audience + his crew + his band, multiple fans were shouting "Street Lights!". Kanye then went to the keyboardists, talked to him, and performed Street Lights with the entire band, just for the audience's request. The camera wasn't even rolling! It was extremely moving.
After that, Kanye took pictures with the VH1 Storytellers creator; then the band randomly started to play Welcome to Heartbreak. Kanye smiled-- he obviously loved that-- and then danced his way out of the aisles while graciously shaking multiple fans' hands.
As everyone began to walk out, the band continued to play Welcome to Heartbreak.
Other note : Kanye said that they are having a hard time picking the next single. He's personally leaning towards "Say You Will," but Robocop, Paranoid, and See You in My Nightmares are up in the air as well.
- Asian from KL.
*** REMINDER: The show airs on 2/28/10 at 9pm!!!!!
VIA: G.O.O.D Music Blog